Babington, Margaret A.
The Romance of Canterbury Cathedral
Sykes, Rev. N.
Pitkin Pictorials Ltd, "Pride of Britain", London, 1965.
In-8, plaquette agrafée sous couverture illustrée en couleur, 24 pp.
Nombreuses illustrations en noir et en couleur.
Bishop walkelyn's new cathedral - Bishop de Lucy - The Cathedral's famous chantries - A royal memorial - Saint Swithun's Shrine - Vandalism by the roundheads - A new foundation.
The Cathedral of Winchester is still, in the main, the great Norman Romanesque building begun by Bishop Walkelin and his brother Simeon who was the cathedral prior.
The transepts, with wooden roofs, are severe early Norman work, little altered when almost everything was Gothicised along the cathedral's main axis.
The west front was newly built by Bishop Edington (1346-1366) ; the Norman pillars were cased with early Perpendicular stonework.